AAPS Moves to Dismiss Schools Early Amid Impending Winter Blitz

AAPS has moved to dismiss schools early with road conditions predicted to worsen. Credit: Peter Fiskerstrand via Creative Commons.

With Washtenaw County under a winter weather advisory, AAPS has moved to dismiss all schools, including Skyline at 2 p.m. “[We] will dismiss early today to ensure a timely arrival home for students and staff before the weather causes unsafe road conditions,” says a district email.

Early in the morning of Jan. 12, the National Weather Service (NWS) Detroit/Pontiac issued a winter weather advisory for southeast Michigan counties set to take effect a 1 p.m. on Jan. 12 and continue through 7 p.m. on Jan 13.

The NWS predicts total snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches with winds gusting as high as 50 mph as the wind chill nears. “Plan on slippery road conditions,” says the NWS. “The hazardous conditions will likely impact the Friday evening commute. Gusty winds may bring down snow covered tree branches resulting in scattered power outages. Blowing snow may reduce visibilities to below one mile at times.”

All afternoon and evening activities are canceled, including aftercare, leaving some parents scrambling.

This is interim superintendent Jazz Parks’ first weather-related dismissal of the 2023-4 school year.

$0
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.