A Newcomer’s Guide: Everything You Need To Know About The Skyline Library

This is the Skyline Library

Walking into a new building, especially one as unique as Skyline, can be scary. As a student who transferred for the start of my Junior year, I know first-hand just how intimidating this experience can be. I didn’t know much about Skyline, so I had to learn through experience–and asking lots of questions. I love books, so naturally, I was curious about Skyline’s library and the resources it provides. 

“The library is centrally located on the third floor, it’s right in the center atrium in the ‘B’ section of the school,” said Lindsey Szurek, Skyline Librarian. “We have print books and ebooks…so lots of different ways to access reading and materials, whether it’s for leisure or class.” 

As a reader, I also wondered what Skyline’s system is for checking out books. “The regular [book] checkout period is six school weeks but doesn’t include breaks or weekends,” explained Szurek. “You can renew it as many times as you need to–and if your book is overdue, there are no fines.” In addition to limitless renewal, a student can also check out up to ten books at one time.

Another great aspect of the library are the resources it provides. “We also have access to databases for research, [and] we help students with Schoology,” said Szurek, speaking to the tech support services offered at the library.

“Students who do online classes are also in the library, so kids get access to that sort of information as well,” Szurek continued. The library is a quiet space for students to get work done, making it an ideal place for not only those taking online classes, but also for taking tests or getting other work done.

One thing about Skyline that is very different from my previous school is the laptop usage: each student is required to have a laptop. “Computers are available for every student,” said Szurek. Students who do not have their own laptop are provided with a school Chromebook, free of charge, which they can receive in the library. Additionally, if your school-issued technology is lost, damaged, or otherwise and you need assistance with it, the library is the place to go for help.

In addition to being a great resource for students, the library also strives to be an accepting, open place for all–regardless of ethnicity, beliefs, gender and sexual orientation, or disabilities. 

“We want everyone to feel welcome here…like there’s space in the school for them,” Szurek concluded. “If you don’t know where to ask a question, come and ask us, and if we’re not the correct resource we’ll point you to wherever you need to go…don’t be shy to ask for help.”

As a new student, sometimes finding the answers to my questions proved to be challenging: I often didn’t know who to ask, or I was too nervous to reach out in the first place. I empathize with any student who has encountered this, and as a result, I hope to diminish the air of mystery around Skyline by condensing and publicizing knowledge that I did not have when I transferred.

I will be posting a series of articles that delve into many different aspects of Skyline. Be on the lookout for my next story!