What are “Theme Thursdays”?

Nicholas Bertsos and Dave Almassy fulfilling their duties as lifeguards to save Mike Lovelace. Credit: D. Almassy.

Every third Thursday of each month at Skyline is Theme Thursday. You can find Skyline students and staff dressed up for that month’s theme, like Skyline Spirit Day, College Day, and Ugly Sweater Day. 

Tracy Stevenson, ninth-grade dean, started Theme Thursdays this year to incorporate more fun around the building. 

“Theme Thursdays bring together staff and students,” says Stevenson. “[They’re] a fun activity in the school.” 

Although Theme Thursdays aren’t required, they promote school spirit and unity.   “I think they’re super fun and give us something to…lighten up the mood a little bit,” says interim principal Casey Elmore. “We encourage everybody to participate.” 

Theme Thursdays let everyone have fun dressing and bonding with their students. “The teachers [sometimes pair] up with a student…[showing] that they are working together, collaborating, and have a good relationship with each other,” continued Stevenson.

Furthermore, Theme Thursdays support creativity in the Skyline community. “It’s fun for me to see what other people show up wearing and it gives a creative outlet during the week,” says algebra teacher Megan Stark. “I wish there were more of them honestly.” From fun costumes to jerseys, staff go all out for Theme Thursdays often matching with each other.

Collin Ganio and Ashley Ducker pose for twin day as Ted Lasso characters. Credit: H. Upton.

More Theme Thursdays would help students and staff to remember to dress up. “Because it’s only one time a month, we forget about it,” says Stark.

Students enjoy seeing staff dress up for a fun theme. “I think they’re fun to see the staff come together, especially the people who go all out like Mr. Almassy,” says Tyson Tyson (‘27). Mr Almassy has worn creative outfits such as a wrestler, a lifeguard, and a martial artist. 

Theme Thursdays can also strengthen relationships between friends through inclusivity. “It’s more fun when you do things with a group of people than just by yourself,” says Tyson.

$0
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.