What are Skyline Staff and students doing after the holidays?

As we hit the middle of winter, the holiday season is well over and the cold weather continues. Despite temperatures beginning to rise, the weather is not yet warm enough for swimming, tanning, or any warm-weather activities. What does the Skyline community like to do after the holiday hype is over?  

Taylor Philips smiling for a snowy day. Credits: T. Philips.

Everyone experiences winter differently, especially those who experience seasonal affective disorder. “Seasonal depression [is] …particularly associated with wintertime,” says counselor Dave Almassy. 

According to The National Institute of Mental Health, Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a significant change in mood and behavior when the seasons begin to change. Most cases of SAD start when the weather begins to drop and end when it starts warming up. Studies have found that those with winter related SAD have reduced levels of serotonin, which helps regulate mood. 

Tackling SAD can be difficult for those unaware of having the condition. “A lot of times that’s not the first thing that jumps to mind for students,” says Almassy. “It’s more like ‘hey I don’t feel great’ as opposed to ‘well it’s winter and I don’t feel great – maybe I have seasonal affective disorder’.”

Talking to a professional and sharing how you feel with loved ones is a step toward feeling better. “To combat seasonal affective disorder, it’s best to talk to your loved ones and any professional you have contact with. “Similar to what I would recommend in dealing with general depression, [I recommend]… talking with people you trust [and] being able to connect with a professional,” says Almassy. 

Grahm Hannah showing some of his cool tricks! Credit: G. Hannah.

To get needed sunlight and keep their energy and moods up, many enjoy outdoor activities and quality time with loved ones during the cold month. “I like to go sledding and just stay at home relaxing with my family,” says Rissi Luminarias (‘27).

The holidays ending can be bittersweet. “I feel that it’s not enough time….I just wish I had more time to rest but other than that I’m just excited for the new tri,” says Rissi. 

As winter continues, the weather tends to get harsher, leaving roads slippery. “It sucks when there’s too much snow on the roads, sometimes it gets hard to get to school because my bus stop is really far from my house so sometimes it gets inconvenient but otherwise I love it,” continues Rissi.

For some, the holidays stay around a little longer. “I watch Christmas movies a little after Christmas but then I stop watching,” Taylor Philips (‘27) says. “[After that] I like to just hang out indoors with my siblings and just play in the snow.”

Grahm Hannah having a fun time snowboarding. Credit: G. Hannah.

Winter brings many fun outdoor activities for those who want to get out of the house. “I am a winter activities person, I love snowboarding…ice skating, and playing hockey,” says Spanish teacher, Grahm Hannah. “I’ll shovel off some of the lakes and put my hockey net out on the lakes and play hockey when we have cold winters.”

Hikes are a popular winter activity, and with the proper gear, it’s possible to stay warm. “I go for long hikes,” says Hannah. “I like just being out in the quiet, kind of like white landscape.” 

With the holidays over, there is an opening to just think about the winter season and not stress over gift buying and the expenses of the holiday season. “After the holidays are over, honestly I feel a bit of relief, to be honest,” says Hannah. “I feel like there’s a lot of pressure put on holidays, it’s nice to be able to kind of just be like ‘Okay I have like this open space in time to just relax and get things done’.”

$0
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.