Rook, a Paranormal Must-Read

Cover of Rook by William Ritter. Credit: Algonquin Young Readers
Cover of “Rook” by William Ritter. Credit: Algonquin Young Readers

What would you do if one day, you suddenly became the bridge between two worlds? One being your own, and the other filled with magical beings, and countless mysteries? Well, that’s what Abigail Rook has to figure out. Rook was published on August 22nd of 2022 by William Ritter. It is a paranormal fantasy novel.

Tensions have always been high between mortals and magical beings in New Fiddleham. But now, it’s worse than ever before. Rates of crime and disappearances have become especially common. Then, when a young girl’s mother disappears Abigail is called to action alongside her mentor, Mr. Jackaby. 

It all starts when Abigail Rook moves to New Fiddleham from England in search of a grand adventure, as well as a job. Once there, she meets a curious man, who would come to be her mentor, Mr. Jackaby. Together, they tackle not just the latest crime, but Abigail’s new found power – the Power of Sight. 

The story also involves Abigail’s fiance, Charlie, who helps her with unraveling mysteries. However, there’s a catch. He himself may be under threat – after all, he is a shapeshifter. So now, not only does Abigail have to solve this woman’s disappearance, but she has to ensure Charlie’s safety as well as that of her own. But can she do it?

To say that I enjoyed this book would be a massive understatement. The descriptions of the setting and happenings in the story make this wonderfully immersive. The writing style makes it so that you can practically see everything that’s going on. 

For example, this quote from the book: “A simple silver brooch could fill a room with waves of midnight and sadness, or a strand of hair could burn as bright as a bonfire.” Who wouldn’t want to read that?

Another thing I enjoyed about this book was the individuality of each character, as well as how they were described. Each character featured in the story is unique in some way, whether it be due to a magical ability, personality trait, or even just a physical trait. In some way, everyone can find someone to relate to. That makes the story more interesting and easier to connect to. For example, how Abigail is intelligent and courageous. Or how Charlie is protective and caring.

Additionally, the dialogue is great throughout the book. It’s interesting, and will make you think, or feel all sorts of things. But it can also be funny, and purely entertaining. I enjoy that even if the dialogue goes with different situations, it’s always good. 

For example, when Abigail Rook says “Life goes on – which I have always felt was rude on life’s part.” Or when Mr.Jackaby says “Behind this brick is the confessional. Remarkable how those heavy feelings seeped all the way through solid stone over the years. Beautiful too, isn’t it?” 

Finally, something that makes this book so great is the cover. Now, if you’re a reader you will understand the struggle. When you find a really good book that you really like, a bad cover can put a damper on your enjoyment. However, this cover is great. The use of color is good, there is contrast, the shape flows and the title fits in perfectly. 

All in all, I would highly recommend Rook. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys fantasy, paranormal themes, and mysteries, don’t mind a bit of gore, and like a bit of romance in the mix. 

$0
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.