Driving On Ice Can Be Scary: Experiences and Tips for Skyline Student Drivers

As the air gets colder and the nights get shorter, the infamous Michigan winter brings puffy coats, fleece-lined boots, and icy roads. As some Skyline students drive to school, the danger of driving on ice is often wrongly overlooked: the Michigan Department of State says that “compared to older drivers, younger drivers are more likely to be involved in crashes where the road conditions are wet, icy, snowy, or the road is mud, dirt, or gravel.” Young drivers are more susceptible to danger during bad weather. 

“Honestly, [driving on ice] makes me feel really uncomfortable cause you just don’t know what’s gonna happen next,” says Olivia Watters (‘26), who currently has her permit. “It’s just really scary … I feel like the roads coming into Skyline have a lot of curves and I drive alongside the Huron River so obviously it can get really icy over there so I’m just scared that I won’t make it to school.”

Watter’s opinion is shared by many student drivers at Skyline. “I really don’t like it,” states Andrew Xi (‘24), who’s been a driver for over a year now. “It’s probably one of the…scarier experiences because it’s unpredictable …. you don’t know how everyone else is going to react as well.” 

Living on a dirt road is another aspect that can make these situations even scarier. “The ice at first I wasn’t too worried about, and then I drove on my [dirt] road and it was really slick,” says Emmie Pokryfke (‘25), who has had her license for eight months.  “I couldn’t get up one side of my road, so I had to drive on the other, because the ice was too much.”

Obviously, the fact that many students have to drive themselves to school in bad weather won’t be changed. Here are some tips and tricks for newer drivers on the ice.

Prepare

First, before even getting on the road you should prepare. “My main trick is to warm up your car about 15 minutes before you leave to make sure all the frost is off,” shared Pokryfke (‘25). “Make sure it’s not locked because of ice, and also so that you can be warm when you get in.”

Having a backup plan if your car gets stranded or breaks down can never hurt. Michigan Auto Law recommends having a safety kit containing “warm clothing, reflective clothing to wear, non-perishable food, water, a flashlight and candles with a lighter.”  

These are just a few examples from the extensive emergency kit list that can be found here. If you’re stranded, the Michigan Department of state says to “stay near your vehicle, and call 911 or roadside assistance like AAA.”

Slow Down

While on the road “[you should] decrease your speed and leave yourself plenty of room to stop while on the road,” say professionals from the Notre Dame Police Department based in St. Joseph County, Indiana. “Allow at least three times more space than usual between you and the car in front of you, do not use cruise control on icy roads, and keep all of your car snow clean (including windshield, back window, headlights and tail lights.)”

Brake Gently

“Brake gently to avoid skidding. If your wheels start to lock up, ease off the brake,” says Xi (‘24), whose advice aligns with recommendations from the NDPD.

“Go slow, take your time, be patient,” said Watters (‘26). 

Take Turns Slowly

“Turns are also gonna be harder because if you turn like you usually do you might slide and turn outwards or inwards more,” said Xi (‘24), “so be extra careful when you’re turning and turn your wheels really slowly.”

With these tips from our diverse range of drivers and professionals, all in different stages of their driving career, the main takeaway is this: driving to school with ice can be scary, but it’s far from impossible. Be careful, think ahead, and most importantly, as Pokryfke (‘25) said, “I just take it with a word of caution that the ice is more powerful than my car is.”

$0
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.