Skyline Had One of the Best Boys’ Water Polo Programs in the State Last year, Now There is Not Even a Team

A Skyline Boys’ Water Polo player passes the ball to a teammate in their matchup against Groves High School at Regionals, a tournament which Skyline won in 2022. Credit: Nicole McKelvey.

In 2022, the Skyline Boys’ Water Polo Team was one of the best water polo teams in Michigan, winning the Boys’ East Regional Tournament and finishing as eastern Michigan champions of. They wrapped up the season with their 3rd consecutive top-five finish in the State Tournament since the COVID-19 pandemic. Now, Skyline is not even fielding a team for the 2023 season. 

After the 2022 season, former head coach Ashley Hower moved to New York in January 2023 to live with the rest of her family who had already relocated. “I stayed in Michigan to finish one last season with the Eagles,” says Hower. She is now serving as the Assistant Coach for the Wagner College Water Polo. 

While the lack of a coach was an issue, the lack of a team is better chalked up to a lack of interest, making fielding a full team impossible. “We couldn’t get enough committed players,” said former Skyline player Andi Xi (‘24), “most players were sad we couldn’t get our own team.” 

The Michigan Water Polo Association requires teams to have at least nine players. “Last year we had about twelve,” said Christiansen, “but through seniors leaving and people not playing again this year we were a few players short.” This left players like Matthew Christiansen (‘25) and Sawyer Thompson (‘25), who were supposed to be captains, but are now without a team. 

This might not be the end of potential woes for water polo at Skyline either, as the player shortage could have longer-term effects. “It’s kinda sad to see Skyline not have a team,” says Thompson, “that means we won’t have one for a while because I doubt we will be able to get enough [committed players] for next year as well.”

Most of the boys who were committed to playing for Skyline instead are playing for Pioneer this fall. “Everyone is very welcoming and our team [Pioneer] is performing this year with the aspirations of taking the state title,” said Christiansen.

“I still try to be a leader on Pioneer and make sure the Skyline boys are feeling comfortable and welcome with the new change,” says Thompson.

$0
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.