Ann Arbor, Michigan
An Eagle Eye On the News

The Skyline Post

The Skyline Post

The Skyline Post

Ann Arbor United Figure Skating Team Skates into the New Year

Skyline/Pioneer 23-24 Girls Figure Skating Team. Credit: C. Misfud

Soccer, basketball, football, and baseball are all mainstream sports that typically attract a lot of student attention. There is almost always a big turnout of fans at the games.

Some sports, however, are not as well advertised and can be overlooked – like figure skating. Ann Arbor’s United Figure Skating Team consists of 18 students and is exactly what its name implies: the Ann Arbor high schools’ figure skating team. 

“We are made up of Figure Skaters from Skyline, Huron, and Pioneer,” says head coach Claire Misfud. “As a team the skaters make up three Varsity teams: A, B, and C.” 

The teams compete against schools in Michigan throughout the winter to fight for the top spot. “Each team will compete in three district competitions,” says Misfud, “With the chance to accumulate enough team points to finish top two in the district, giving them a bid to the team component of States.”

During the process of states, not everyone participates in all the same contests. “Last year our A team placed 1st in all three district competitions and placed 8th at States,” Misfud says. “Individually at states, we had eight skaters compete in different events.”

This year’s team holds a lot of experience, as most skaters already know each other from club skating. “I’ve skated for the Ann Arbor Figure Skating Club for around seven years now,” says skater Ellie Min (‘27). “Most of the people on the high school team were part of the club already too.”

Those who partake in skating gain not only skating experience but also gain friendships and connections that can last a lifetime. “I do it for the enjoyable feeling of satisfaction that comes with improvement,” says team captain Sarah Marquardt (‘25), “as well as the lifelong friendships that come with the sport.”

Figure skating is a very in-depth and poised sport that deserves greater attention. Check out Ann Arbor Skyline Athletics for the team schedule and more information on the season. There is an upcoming competition date on Saturday, February 17 at Hartland Ice Arena. Show out!

Donate to The Skyline Post
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.