World Cup Fever Breaks Out at Skyline

Daniel Cherian

Landry Jobe (’25) is excited by his favorite player Messi scoring

The World Cup is a major event for soccer fans and has caused quite a bit of distraction in the classrooms here at Skyline these past few weeks. 

Phones under the table, hidden behind computer screens, and propped up on sleeping classmates are a couple of methods students used to keep track of scores in the class.

“I watch the world cup behind my computer in class,” admits Elle Wong (‘25) an avid supporter of the Argentinian national team.

Contrary to expectations, most teachers fall in support of the games. They have been expressing their interest in the event as well. “Sometimes my teachers play it for me and we root for teams together,” Wong states. 

Teachers understand that phones can be distracting. Spanish teacher Grahm Hannah recognizes the issue, but seeing his students interact and socialize about the games rather than “endlessly scrolling alone” makes him happy.

Teachers still have to use precautions to deal with distracted students. Math teacher Jeff Olensinski says he’s found it’s best to “just have a conversation with them.” He ensures that students know that leaving their work for home may not always be in their best interest. The absence of a qualified mentor can vastly change how easy the task is. 

“I could always tell just by looking at my class when there was a game on. The Skyline Post sports section was the absolute worst [laughs]” says English teacher Annie Blais. 

It seems that a couple of teachers have the intuition to allow some leniency for the Cup. Dr. Blais admits “it’s hard to be mad about the World Cup.” 

Chemistry teacher Michael Jones tried to bring the focus of the students to himself rather than what is playing on their phone screens: “I would rather be the bigger distraction from the distraction.” 

Though The Skyline Post cannot stand behind taking students off their education, what we can say is that we have good teachers willing to step up and match the practically gravitational pull of modern socialization, and bring students’ attention back to the task at hand. Now that the World Cup is over, students have lost a precious excuse.