The Skyline Varsity Boy’s Baseball Team Catches a New Head Coach

New Skyline Head Coach Kyle Cornell watching his team play Livonia Churchill. Credit: Jackson Armstrong.

One minute the eagles were working out in the gym, and the next they learned they needed a new head coach. The Skyline Varsity Baseball Team has experienced a big change this season with the addition of new head coach Kyle Cornell.

Even with the new head coach being hired pretty close to the season’s start, the chemistry within the team has been at an all time high. “I think our season’s going well,” said varsity player Connor Rzeszut (‘26). “We’re getting along well as a team, playing competitively, and having fun.” 

Skyline Outfield, Catcher, and pitcher in the picture and head coach. Credit: Daniel Tomalak.

The players have praised the coach many times for the energy and liveliness he brings to the team, and have enjoyed the opportunities he presents them with to improve. “Coach Cornell pushes us to reach our maximum potential,” said Rzeszut, “while also providing opportunities for us to build team chemistry, both inside and outside of the classroom.”  

This isn’t Cornell’s first coaching experience, as he has coached at Dexter and Saline’s baseball programs in the past, which is part of why he knows he was the right man for the job. “I think I was a good fit to be the next head coach because I bring a wide background of knowledge of baseball to the program,” said Cornell. “My hope is to just keep raising the bar for the program and its already established accomplishments.”

The team was able to pull off a big win against Pioneer on April 8th 5-2, taking the first game of the series. “We have been competing every game,” said Cornell, “and we are close to fixing the little things that will take the group that much farther.”

Skyline Varsity Baseball Team standing in a circle. Credit: Daniel Tomalak

This has been a very improving season and the team aspect has changed for the better, here is what one of the players had to say about the change.“The season is going alright, we have won some games and also improved a lot,” said varsity player Nate Werns (‘24). “We swept Huron which is great.”

$185
$5000

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.