Ann Arbor, Michigan
An Eagle Eye On the News

The Skyline Post

The Skyline Post

The Skyline Post

Will Skyline Ever Have an Esports Team?

Team Liquid wins CS:GO IEM Sydney 2019. Credit: Adam Scarf.

Esports are on the rise, and Skyline has its very own gaming club. Established around winter break this year and run by Skyline Science Teacher Carley Postma Mondays in room A412, members of the club are interested in turning it into an esports team.

An Esports team is a group that competitively plays video games and competes in events.

Other schools have esports teams, but it’s hard to gauge how competitive other schools in the district are with the limited information there is available on the events. “Personally I know that I’m getting cooked at every tournament, but I know that Skyline has a few people who are extremely skilled at these games and will probably like to join the esports team,” said co-club leader Sean Meng (‘26) 

The club would need student leaders, a coach, technology, and school support to become a full esports team. “A coach can be an adult that doesn’t know much or anything about esports to help get a program started,” said Michigan High School Esports League (MHSEL) Assistant Director Maggie Helmer. “you just need someone who is willing to support the initiative and has the time to commit to it.” 

Adapting to the competitive nature of an esports team can be difficult, but there are support systems in place to help new players get adjusted to the difficult environment. “Student-athletes will take on leadership roles in regards to game knowledge, while the adult coach will help facilitate students learning soft skills and building together as a team,” said Helmer.

There are three types of clubs at Skyline: (1) sports, which receive district funding, coaches, and events, (2) club sports, which only have coaches and events, and (3)  clubs, which just have an adviser. 

At the moment it would be unlikely for them to become an esports team because of the district being unable to fund it. “I don’t think that it’s going to be possible [to create an esports team] for a little while just ʼcause of the district’s situation,” said Athletics Office Professional Laurie Adams. “down the road definitely, I could see it becoming at least a … school club.”

With the club only having six members and focusing on one game (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate), they are looking for more people to join. They are working to expand to different games and get more technology for the club. “This year we’re mostly just trying to get the club off the ground,” said Meng.

There are concerns about newly created clubs closing soon after being started, and with the gaming club being founded recently, the district might be hesitant to make it an esports team. However, only one club was closed from 2022-2023 to 2023-2024. Most clubs have kept enough of a following to be able to stay open. There is “lots of room for growth and who knows what the future will hold,” said Postma.

Donate to The Skyline Post
$185
$5000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.