Skylines Girls’ Water Polo Sets the Bar High

Full team picture of Skyline women’s water polo team. Credit: Lon Horwedel.

This season’s outcomes for both the Skyline Varsity and JV Girls’ Water Polo are looking exceptional, and the bar is set high for Varsity to come out on top. From drills to conditioning, the Skyline Women’s Water Polo team is putting the work in and out of the pool.

“I think the season has been going really good,” said varsity team captain Sophia Marrs (‘24). “I think that we all have a much stronger worth ethic than in the past.”

The girls have been dominating in the water, winning almost all of their games, and have lingered around the top three in the state, according to the Michigan Water Polo Association. Coach and players are all optimistic, and eyes are set on a state title.

“Originally at the beginning of the season my goal was to finish in the top 4 of the state…that goal isn’t enough,” says Skyline Water Polo Coach Rebecca Godek. “We’re shooting our sights on a state title.”

Bonding and chemistry between teammates is crucial to a team’s success, and the girls’ great connections show in the water. “They know each other’s strengths, how their teammates play and what their style is,” says Godek. “Some of these girls I think could play together with their eyes closed.”

The team is hard at work, running drills and working on plays. Outside of the water, the coaches draw plays out on whiteboards to help the girls better understand how they should move, in addition to the drills they perform in the water. “We do different shooting drills that are specific for helping individual players,” says Marrs.

All of the girls have a very bright outlook on the season, and are aiming to win it at districts and then take a title at states. “I think that we are all in it to win it,” says Marrs. “And that we’re all going to come out with a win from states.

$185
$5000

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.