Skyline Boys’ Lacrosse’s New Head Coach Instantly Makes an Impact

Men’s Varsity lacrosse poses for a picture. Credit: Muj Mohammadi

Isiah Dehn, the new head coach for the Skyline Boys’ Lacrosse Team has already made a massive impact on the players and the way the team functions. 

Dehn helped the team beat two of their cross-town rivals this season: Huron and Saline, who Skyline has not beaten since the 2015-2016 season. 

Matthew Zwolensky on the field during the game vs Pioneer. Credit: Jackson Armstrong.

Beating Saline and Huron won’t be enough to have a shot at winning the regional tournament, with rival Pioneer in the way who Dehn calls “the team down the street and says they think of us as a little brother and we want to show them that the little brother should be someone they are worried about.” 

As this is coach Dehn’s first season, there have been some changes in the goals and some of the goals have stayed the same. Coach Dehn says,”I would say the goals stayed very similar as in wanting to Beat Our Rivals, Win the Division, and Win the Region. But also adding that we just wanted to see improvement and growth building off each day was the biggest one…we changed the mindset of the team as in that just like life we need to work for everything we want and nothing will be given or handed to us.” 

Coach Dehn talking to players during the game. Credit: Muj Mohammadi.

Varsity players on the team are happy with Dehn’s different style of coaching, where he focuses on how the team will improve and not on how many games they win or lose during this season. This new approach has given the team a positive outlook on the season. “We are going to improve,” Matthew Zwolensky says (‘24). “We got a new coach and new strategies so we will improve.”

According to veteran players, it’s been a good first season for Dehn. “This first year the team has great chemistry and our coach is helping even more,” said Zwolensky.

$185
$5000

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.