With State Championships Looming, Boys’ Swim and Dive Draws on Strong Start

Andi Xi (’24) gliding his way to the finish. Credit: N. McKelvey

This season, the Skyline Boys’ Swim and Dive team are off to a good start and currently are 5-6.. “We have a great vibe…. Just starting to get into swimming shape and we are swimming really well in meets,” said head coach Mo-Jo Murrett.    

There have been many great swims and new state qualifying times this season. Lots of goals are being made. “My goals for this season are probably just to break 23 seconds in my 50 free,” said Robby Shannon (26’). “I feel like I’m working really hard towards that goal and Murrett is definitely pushing me as much as possible.” 

Despite having a couple losses as a team, individually the swimmers are working very hard. “I believe the team is doing great so far into this season,” said Andrew Xi (‘24). “Despite losing to Seaholm, many of our swimmers swam their personal bests and improved in a lot of areas.”

A common goal for most of the boys this season is to just be faster than they were last year. “My personal goal is to simply be faster than I was last year,” said Xi. “As for a team, the goal is to get as many swimmers as possible their state cuts. I hope for a big postseason team.” 

On Dec. 14, the team came up just a couple points behind Seaholm. Despite the loss, two swimmers and two relay teams got six state qualifying times, and lots of other personal bests were made. “We lost to Seaholm…99-86,” said Mojo. Despite the loss, “I was very pleased with the results because everyone swam faster than they had the week before.”

In swim and dive, it is not just about winning the meets, but more about the team atmosphere, and the coaches play a big role in that. “I definitely feel like Mo-Jo has helped me alot to get towards my goals, and I feel like I’ve been doing really really well and all the practices are helping me towards that,” said Shannon. 

Skyline Boys Swim and Dive have some big meets ahead of them. SEC Red Championships (Southeastern Conference) is coming up on Feb. 24 at 12 p.m., and Diving Regionals is on Thursday Feb, 29 at 12 p.m. The season ends with the  MHSAA D2 States for swimmers who have gotten state qualifying times. Prelims will be Friday, March 8th at 12 p.m. and finals will be Saturday, March 9 at 12 p.m. Come support the boys as they are near the end of their season. 

$0
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.