Ann Arbor, Michigan
An Eagle Eye On the News

The Skyline Post

The Skyline Post

The Skyline Post

What Eagles do to Manage Stress

Madison Wade (’24) working hard while studying for first hour exams. Credit: G. Falcicchio-Wall.

As Skyline students wrap up the first trimester, a large range of stress weighs down each individual. For some, this will be the first-ever finals season, while others are scrambling to complete applications for their dream college; both outcomes provide an intense level of uncertainty. With tons of different, valid reasons for stress, we turn to Skyline students to hear more about how they take care of themselves while also tackling difficult to-do’s. 

Seniors can find simple ways to distract themselves from the impending anxiety. “Playing with my dogs and watching movies helps me destress and relax,” shares Madison Wade (‘24). “I sort my assignments by importance and how soon they are due.”

With so much pressure on the shoulders of seniors to sum up their whole lives into college application essays, breaking things down by importance is a helpful tactic for anyone drowning with work.  

“If you let everything get to you in one big wave then it’s just horrible and miserable,” says Nico Allen (‘25). “But if you take it as it comes in little bite-sized chunks, it makes it easier.” 

First-trimester finals are looming over everyone; especially the freshmen who have yet experienced the stress– and eventual relief– surrounding exams. “I’m feeling fine, a bit nervous,” explains Kendra McLeod (‘27). “I missed a couple days so I am working hard on getting back into the working groove.” 

High school serves as a perfect opportunity for underclassmen to figure out what methods work best for them as an individual. 

TIPS FOR STRESSED STUDENTS:

Stay on top of things:

Starting to prep early ensures you don’t fall behind on general assignments and builds confidence for exams. Resisting procrastination will relieve stress surrounding the end of the trimester since it eliminates the need to play catch-up. Even if you only have 10-20 minutes a day set aside for a specific class, you’ll be putting yourself at a great academic advantage. Also, teachers recommend students use the calendar in the top menu of Schoology, to get an overview of what is due when.

Get good sleep: 

Making sure you are listening to your body at all times is essential to academic success. Good sleep helps in retaining more information and leaves students refreshed and ready to continue learning rather than staying up late and trying to cram. 

Study with friends: 

Seeing different perspectives on class materials can help you notice new things and give you fresh ideas. This collaboration helps students continue having social interactions and support systems while also being productive. It isn’t healthy to keep staring at the same writing prompt over and over again, so brainstorm with a friend and get a fresh pair of eyes on your work. 

Use Skyline resources: 

The Academic Resource Center is now in action in the library from 3-5 on select Tuesdays and Thursdays – with snacks! The Writing Center is also open every hour of the day and provides an online support request link you can use anytime. Both support systems have staff and students available to help with any type of assignment.

Donate to The Skyline Post
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.