Ann Arbor, Michigan
An Eagle Eye On the News

The Skyline Post

The Skyline Post

The Skyline Post

Women’s Cross Country Runs Into the 2023 Season

The Girls’ Cross Country Team poses after the Early Bird Meet. Credit: A. Mayer

Have you ever run a race in rainy weather? in the cold? While potentially twisting your ankle? The Skyline women’s XC team struggled with these things all season.  

The graduation of five varsity runners in 2023 has taken a toll on the team. “Some challenges my team is facing is being comfortable with being uncomfortable,” says Katie Yuan (’27).  

But the girls have stepped up and some freshmen have been great additions, running in multiple hard meets including the early bird meet. The team placed 2nd and had a great run. 

The Eagles do a good job of communicating with each other and giving advice when needed. They seem to have a strong community.  “My motivations are my teammates,” says Yuan. “Mrs. Kessler is good at making us work harder…[She] keeps[s] us going.”

Kessler, in her fourth year coaching Skyline, says, “A highlight from this year is our 10th place finish at the 29th team Jackson Invitational and a 4th place finish at the Holly Invitational where we beat our regional rival, Dexter.”

Last year the team finished 2nd in the region and 7th in the state but as of writing, this season they have dropped down to 20th in the state. “The graduation of five varsity runners has taken a toll on the team,” says Kessler, “but the girls have stepped up and some freshmen have been great additions to the team.”

This youthful team is expected to perform at the highest level despite losing seniors. “I expect another state qualifying team this season,” says Kessler. 

The team trained hard over the summer, from 8-9:30 a.m. every day, running miles while most other students were in bed. Eagles XC is as committed as any team at Skyline and the results this season show.

Donate to The Skyline Post
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.