Skyline Field Hockey Returns After Yet Another Great Season

Varsity Field Hockey posses for a quick photo after a great win against Pioneer. Credit: J. Westfall.

Skyline Field Hockey is an incredibly hard-working team, as its results certainly show. This season they made history here at Skyline, beating their biggest rival, Pioneer High School, twice before States.

Skyline Field Hockey has been very successful this year with an 16-3-2 record. “I think we’ve started to all come together and play as a team right when we need it,” says Captain Coco Courtright (‘24).

Early in the season, the team traveled to Pennsylvania for the Max Field Hockey High School National Invitational from the 21st to the 24th of September, which featured the top two teams from each state across the country. There they had two losses at the hands of Pennsylvania-based Conestoga High School and Connecticut-based Darien High School. “I think we were off to somewhat of a rough start but we are doing good now,” says Co-Captain Cami Wiseman (‘24).

Recently the team made it all the way to the State Championship game in Farmington Hills on the 28th of October. It was a very close game, and it came down to the last quarter, but Pioneer was able to score, ending the game with a 1-2 score. “We fought really hard, and even though it didn’t go our way we will forever remember this season.” says Freshman on Varsity Maeve Kilbride (‘27).

Despite the graduation of strong senior players Morgan Nelepa (‘23), Ava Marble (‘23), and Abby Potoff (‘23), the team has filled the gaps and is thriving on and off the field. Wiseman and Courtright are returning captains; Sadie Shultz (‘24) and Chiara Bichakjian (‘24) have stepped up as captains this year.

On 18th of September and the 5th of October, Skyline was able to pull off momentous wins against Pioneer, Skyline’s biggest rival in field hockey. “It felt really good to win against them and beat them, kind of smoke them,” says Wiseman.

The overall score of the first game was 5-1 and the score of the second game was 6-4. “Our team, the past few games, have been working really hard together,” Kilbride says. “And that [first] game really brought us together, beating our number one rival.”

Being a part of any team takes a certain amount of commitment and devotion, and that is certainly evident with this team. “I play because I love the sport,” explains Courtright. “I think it’s so fun to play alongside ten other girls, and it just gives you a sense of community at Skyline.”

$0
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.