Tensions Run High With College Letters Rolling in

A display with various flags of college universities in the cube. Credit: A. Dawson.

As the second trimester came to an end, seniors began to receive letters from numerous universities, with a mixture of positive and negative responses. Even  though people always hope for the best, college letters don’t always give students the answers they want.  That’s why when they are positive there is so much room for excitement. 

Receiving college letters can be very exciting; students get to know what they’re going to be doing for the next four years. “I have gotten accepted into four colleges and I’m super proud of myself, but I’m waiting for two more,” says Jessica Porter (‘24).

Depending on the university and when students send in their applications, receiving a letter back may take more time.  “I haven’t gotten any college letters back yet but I should soon,” says Jayla Fields (‘24). 

Early decision and early action applications mean students get letters back more quickly.  “[I] sent most of them in by November 1st which was the deadline for the early ones,” says Isabella Sommers (‘24)

Sommers wasn’t the only one who took advantage of the early admissions. “The application deadline for UM is November 1st,” says Johnathan Chen (‘24). “So I made sure to send in all my applications at the beginning of this 23-24 school year.

Living in Ann Arbor puts students right by one of the best universities in the world.  But staying in Ann Arbor for another four years doesn’t ring everyone’s bell. “I have always wanted to go out of state but I did apply to some Michigan schools just in case things change,” says Porter (‘24). “[I] want to experience more because I’m used to being in Michigan and…want to move around and adapt to other places.” 

College letters can cause tension with friends. Michigan’s early action release date this winter was a particularly tense day at Skyline. “[It] was really stressful because everyone applies to Michigan because of how close it is, so everyone knew it came out that Friday,” says Sommers.  “It came out in the afternoon so everyone was pretty stressed about it.”

Families can create another kind of stress as they have their own, with often-differing opinions about where their student should attend. Porter’s (‘24) first choice is Hampton University. But, she says, “I know my family doesn’t want me to go too far, especially during the holidays.”  

With so many great universities to choose from and many students still applying to college now, not everyone has made their final decision.  The Skyline Post will follow up with graduation approaches to see what they decided: stay tuned!

$0
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.