What Are Skyline Students Doing with Their Snow Days?

Frosted window overlooking the snowy outdoors. Credit: Creative Commons.

Michigan’s winter snowstorms and icy showers often force schools to cancel due to dangerous conditions. Skyline used four of its snow days during the weeks following winter break, bringing students and staff some unanticipated time off. 

Although too many snow days can put classes behind schedule, students still enjoy using this time to relax, pursue hobbies, and take advantage of the snow. “My favorite thing to do is, if the snow is good enough, to go sledding,” says Ronan Brannock (‘27). “If I have enough people then I’ll try a snowball fight.”

While snow days are the perfect opportunity to get outdoors, icy road conditions can limit what is available to students. “I really like to go snowboarding and stuff,” says Abby Yuan (‘25), “but if the roads are too bad I’m not allowed to go. Recently, I’ve been finding a new television series that I like, and binge-watching it, while trying to do homework, but it doesn’t really work most of the time.”

On the other hand, some students avoid going outside altogether. “I don’t really like to go out in the snow because then my parents make me shovel the snow,” says Vivian Ruapp (‘27) “…and I don’t want to do that. So I mostly just stay inside.”

Students find other indoor forms of entertainment, like watching a good movie, reading books, and a bit of baking. “I love watching Peter Pan and other just like, Disney classics like that,” says Raupp. “I also like to read a book, make something sometimes, and just have fun in the kitchen… I love to bake brownies.” 

When students aren’t hibernating at home, you can find them spending time with friends or pursuing other hobbies outside of the house. “My favorite thing would most likely be going to the gym on a snow day or going shopping,” says Yasmyn Worsley (‘25). “If I’m feeling pumped and enthusiastic, I’ll see a friend and probably make a snowman.”

With all the fun outdoor activities to take part in, movies to watch, and brownies to bake, homework seems like the last thing on anybody’s to-do list during snow days. However, students generally still try to complete at least a little schoolwork, even if it isn’t a top priority.  “For snow days, I count it as nature’s treat so I take most of the day to focus on me and my mental well being,” says Worsely.  “I work on schoolwork, it just comes very late, like after dinner right before bed.” 

Others feel a bit more strongly about using their precious time off for classes. “No, screw that,” says Raupp. “I’m not doing homework.”

$0
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.