Seniors Advise Underclassmen: How to Make the Most of High School

Ty Kahle working diligently on their final exam. Credit: Simone Chin.

As the 2023-2024 school year nears its end, Skyline says “goodbye” to its seniors and “hello” to its incoming freshmen. Starting high school can be a nerve-wracking experience; take comfort in knowing that you’re not alone.

We seniors have learned a thing or two about how to navigate the challenges of high school, and we’re here to help you begin this new chapter in your life. We want to pass on a bit of knowledge to make the transition a little smoother and the upcoming school year a little more manageable.

Pick Fun and Challenging Classes

Picking classes may seem like a daunting task, considering how many there are. Try not to stress, and remember what you’re passionate about. First, take the classes you’re required to take, and if you’ve got any room left in your schedule, choose what seems most interesting to you! Whether that be choir or band, photography or ceramics, journalism or statistics, it’s up to you to follow your heart and make the decision that’s best for you. 

If you’re looking for a challenging opportunity to grow, taking an AP class in a subject that interests you is a great option to explore. You have the option to take advanced placement classes or APs. Anyone can take these. AP classes will help prepare you for the college workload, and may even grant you college credit, should you decide to take the AP test.

Join Something Meaningful

Being at a new school may feel isolating and a little scary. The good news is that Skyline has more than 50 clubs and sports you can join! There is a club for everyone, and you can even create a new one. 

Clubs are a great way to meet a wide variety of new people and get more involved in the Skyline community. Just keep in mind that it’s important to balance work and play, but if this balance starts to become difficult to maintain, you can always drop the club for a bit and show up again when you’re ready. Plus, if you sign up for a club but decide you don’t want to stay in it, you’re not required to keep attending meetings. 

Put Effort into Your Friendships

High school is bound to bring new hardships you’ll have to overcome. It’s important to have a strong support system of friends, family, teachers, and counselors that you can rely on when it comes to dealing with these challenges. 

Friends and family are great, because they’ll understand what you’re going through. Teachers and counselors are also wonderful resources to utilize; they’re here to help you learn, and can give you all the tools you need to succeed. 

Take a deep breath, remember to have fun, and we promise – you’ll be okay. You got this!

$185
$5000

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.