Flow to Success: Graduation Statement

Staff writer Isabella Somers (’24)

Last summer, I was able to further my interest in psychology by taking the Science of Happiness class at the University of Michigan’s Michigan Math and Science Scholars program. I had already taken AP Psychology but was eager to learn more about positive psychology and its practical applications. 

One concept I found particularly interesting was the concept of “flow.” Discovered by psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, flow is an extremely focused mental state, requiring a balance between how challenging a task is and personal skill level. When in flow, individuals may experience loss of self-consciousness, stress release, and a distorted passage of time. 

Over time, flow can even improve immune system functioning and overall physical health. If everyone could experience flow by doing something they love, people would feel more productive and happy, creating a more positive world with maximum efficiency in everyday life.

In this class, I realized that I had experienced flow before and that it sometimes came at times I didn’t expect it. 

I experienced flow when I was on the stand as Corey Rachett-Nicholson, my witness character for Mock Trial. I never thought I would join a club like Mock Trial, one where I would willingly have to speak in front of many people.

Whenever I worked alongside fellow club members in the National Organization for Women or Asian American Youth Club towards a shared goal, I experienced flow. We wanted to make a change in our community, so we reached out to organizations in Ann Arbor to help make our goals possible.

Flow was the result of trying new things and putting myself out there. 

My biggest piece of advice for younger students is to find something you love doing that will promote flow for you. Join that club that interests you, even if none of your friends are in it. Take electives that seem fun that you want to try, even if you have to give up a core class to make space in your schedule. Besides obtaining the flow state, you will make connections with peers and gain skills that are useful for a lifetime.

$185
$5000

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.