Ann Arbor, Michigan
An Eagle Eye On the News

The Skyline Post

The Skyline Post

The Skyline Post

Packing List: What to Bring to College

Caroline Vances (23) dorm room at the University of Michigan. Credit: Caroline Vance.
Caroline Vance’s (’23) dorm room at the University of Michigan. Credit: Caroline Vance.

As summer draws nearer, and seniors make college decisions, many are excited but also nervous about college. How do you acclimate to a new environment? How do you adjust to living on your own and taking on increased responsibilities? 

Most college students will spend their entire first year, and possibly their second, in a dorm room. It is important to cultivate a home. “It’s fun to…come into college and have a space that feels like yours,” says Recent Skyline graduate Annalisa Deguzman (‘23). DeGuzman recommends bringing pictures and decorations that remind you of home. 

Annalisa DeGuzman’s (’23) dorm at the Univeristy of Michigan.

Andrea Murray, Skyline orchestra director and University of Central Missouri graduate, suggests a lounge chair and fuzzy blanket to make the dorm more cozy. She also advises bringing a fridge, microwave, and kettle, if dorm rules allow. “The cafeteria food is not good.” 

Caroline Vance (‘23), recent Skyline graduate and member of the Michigan track and cross country teams, also suggests keeping lots of snacks in your dorm. 

Items and decor are one thing, but staying organized is another. Having a desk to study at is important, and so is keeping it clean. “Make sure to put everything away at night,” says DeGuzman. “That’s, like, a big thing,”

It is best to keep the rest of the dorm room clean as well, to ensure you have a good place to study and relax. “The vacuum is essential for this,” says Vance. “I vacuum like once a week. Other than that, just keeping your stuff tidy like how you normally would in your own room.” 

Organization can become even more difficult for student-athletes. “I obviously don’t have as much time as other people to get things done,” says Vance. “So I have to manage time really well, and I’m a lot more tired from practice so it can be hard to stay motivated.” Using a planner or schedule, as well as setting aside time in your day for studying, is key to staying on top of things. 

Donate to The Skyline Post
$185
$5000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.