JV Boys Basketball Finishes a Challenging Season in Good Spirits

Jalen Roberts shooting the ball over a defender. Credit: m.m.flicks.

Right off the bat this team was exciting to watch. “We have some new players coming into the program with a lot of potential,” says point guard Calvin Williams (‘26). “As a team we have to play for each other and play together.”

The team has had notable wins against opponents Green Hills, Ypsilanti Community, Saline and Arbor Prep. “I think we have a very good chance of coming out on top,” says forward River Byrne (‘26). “I think we have a very bright future, and I think we are going to be a successful program for the next couple years. We need to just play as a team and we will be very successful.”

The team ended with a record of 6-16 this season. They are looking to put in work this off season and improve. “The key to success for this team is dedication and wanting to win,” said forward Jalen Roberts (‘26). “We have the skill, players, and we are set up to win, but we need to want to win until we get better and beat teams that are ranked in the state. We have many talented sophomores and talented guards. We are seeing improvement game by game.”

River Byrne passing the ball in bounds. Credit: gbrl.visualz.

During the offseason, Skyline hired the new head JV basketball coach Marshal Alexander-White to lead the team to a strong season. Alexander-White is a former player for the program graduating in 2015 and knows what it is like to be in the players shoes. “We got a new head coach that makes sure the team is on the same page and talking,” Williams said. “He’s a great coach, a very positive influence on the team and a great basketball mind.” 

$0
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.