What Are the Most Protective African American Hairstyles?

Soft locks. Credit J. Frank

There are many popular hairstyles among students: slicked back, ponytails, and French braids. For African American students, popular hairstyles also include soft locs, box braids, and knotless braids. 

Hair protection varies from person to person. “[It] depends on your hair type and protects it from dryness,” says Rachel Blistein, owner of Original Moxie, a hair salon in Ypsilanti. “Without protection, your hair will not function properly or shrinkage will not be there anymore.” Shrinkage is a good thing for your hair; when your hair is wet, the curls should bounce right back up after you stretch them out

Hair protection is needed because of heat damage and build-up. “We need to protect hair…because the sun [can] damage hair,” says Blistein. Failure to protect, oil, and wash your hair can lead to a dry scalp.

The best way to protect your hair is by getting natural hairstyles, putting them in braids, or even soft locs. These protective styles do not damage your hair. “[The best protective hairstyles] are usually based on the [person’s hair],” says Jemma Franks, a Ypsilanti home-based Braider. 

Box braids. Credit: J. Frank

Hairstylists believe that box braids are often the most protective hairstyle. Box braids are a braided hairstyle with squared-shaped sections and weave, fake hair added throughout the hair while it is braided. “[Box braids]’ are not messing with your hair,” says Franks.

Box braids are an easy alternative and protective low-tension hairstyle when you’re running late on a busy day. “It’s a really good get up and go hair and it doesn’t really cause much tension,” says Franks.  

Tension is a really common problem with many African American hairstyles, such as small tiny braids or micro braids. “When you take micro braids out they usually cause a lot of tension,” says Franks. Tension can cause alopecia (hair loss) with natural hair.

Taking proper care of your hair is crucial to prevent frizz and keep it healthy. “Protect your hair so it doesn’t lock up,” says America Mota Bojorquez (‘27). “So your hair won’t break off and the gel won’t build up.”

Using oil or hair products can also make a huge difference in your hair. Choosing a good product is helpful for your hair, to make it grow and make your natural hair stronger. “I use Shine ‘n Jams and Blue Magic Grease to grease my scalp,” says Troy Banks (‘27).

$0
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.