The Unspoken Rules of Skyline’s Bathrooms: Tips For Incoming Students

We’ve all had experiences with the Skyline bathrooms: long lines, a toilet that doesn’t flush, or, on the flip side, one that won’t stop flushing. The Skyline Post asked students and staff for their advice to new Eagles regarding the complex bathroom culture at Skyline.

The robots are everywhere…. Credit: Cecelia Brush

Beware of the automatic flush toilets

Some students like the automatic flush toilets here at Skyline, which register movement, arguing that it’s better not having to touch anything. But others point out their malfunctions. “It’s always terrifying when you stand there and it won’t flush,” says Skyline student Sam Richardson (‘24).

Skyline’s SLC Principal Delsie Sissoko wants you to know that if this happens to you, don’t panic: “there’s a manual button you can push too if…the motion sensor doesn’t work.”

Sometimes, though, it’s the opposite problem. So-called “ghost” toilets flush continuously, as if the stall is occupied when no one is near.  

The benefits of a haunted stall? One person jokes that, because of the constant spraying of water, they “could be used as a bidet.”

Don’t crowd the bathrooms 

Clogged toilets are one thing, but clogged restrooms can be even worse. Skyline’s bathrooms are often crowded, so to avoid adding to the chaos, try not to linger.

Skyline students emphasize that it’s best to get in and get out.

Although it can be tricky with the lines, Sissoko says that “students are…encouraged to use the restroom during passing time [or] when they’re in their lunch to avoid missing instruction.”

One tip is that if you come across a long line, find another bathroom; it’s not worth getting marked tardy.

Choose wisely

Students have different ideas of what constitutes a good bathroom. Some stress cleanliness, and others just want to escape the crowds. 

According to a very scientifically-sound Skyline Post study with a sample size of 32 students, the “best” bathrooms seem to be those that check both of these boxes, the top being the first floor A hall bathroom close to the music rooms.

Wondering which ones to avoid? While the responses varied, almost half of the surveyed students find the third-floor bathrooms least desirable, mostly due to overcrowding.

If you’re looking for a different option, there is a nurse’s bathroom on the fourth floor that some students prefer and also a gender-neutral bathroom on the second floor in the main office.

Two fourth floor bathrooms await visitors Credit: Cecelia Brush

Be respectful of the facilities we’re lucky to have

One of Skyline’s custodians, Sami Khatib, wants students to realize that they can play a part in the cleanliness and functionality of the school.

“Just let us know if there’s anything they need to be cleaned,” he says.

Sissoko emphasizes this point.  “Everything about…our public education is…a shared responsibility…our custodians work really hard to keep things clean; when myself and other admin and teachers are in the building we’re picking things up,” she says, “[which is] the same responsibility we would like to see out of our students…we’re all in this together.”