Ann Arbor, Michigan
An Eagle Eye On the News

The Skyline Post

The Skyline Post

The Skyline Post

Are Dune Parts One and Two Worth Watching?

A scene from Dune Part One. Credit: Legendary Pictures.

Have you heard of the movie Dune? Have you seen it mentioned on YouTube or TikTok, but still haven’t watched it later because you think it’ll be a waste of time? I’m here to tell you that both films were the most unforgettable movies I’ve ever watched.

For those who are worried about watching the movie and want to read the book first, I’ve watched the movie and have not yet read the book. The movie was amazing, and is inspiring me to also read it!

Dune Parts One and Two are adapted from Frank Herbert’s epic sci-fi novel. Director Denis Villeneuve’s vision brings Herbert’s novel to life.

Is Dune worth it? Absolutely. Dune Parts One and Two are worth watching for anyone who enjoys stunning visuals and epic storytelling. Whether you’re a fan of the novel or films or neither, these films have a cinematic experience like no other. Director Villeneuve’s vision brings the beautiful and complex universe of Arrakis to life in breathtaking detail, with captivating visuals and incredible performances from a talented cast. So if you’re looking for an impactful and unforgettable cinematic experience, these films are worth adding to your watchlist.

In Part One, Villeneuve professionally sets the stage, introducing the audience to the desert planet of Arrakis. The setting of the movie, characters, and visuals are a big part of the movie and why you should watch it; the entire story is astonishing.

The story is continued in Part Two with the same artistry and ambition. Villeneuve dives deeper into the themes of fate, prophecy, and the nature of power. The action sequences are thrilling and well-choreographed, keeping audiences on the edge of their seats until the very end.

Breathtaking cinematography that captures the vastness and beauty of Arrakis’ desert landscapes, as well as its ancient cities and futuristic technology. 

In Parts One and Two, the performances remain astonishing, with Chalamet again eating it up in the role of Paul Atredies. Chalamet delivers a beautiful performance as the hero whose journey from prince to messiah is compelling.

The supporting cast, including Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, and Zendaya, all shine with their roles, adding spice to the narrative.  We also meet some new people in the movie, including Stilger (Javier Bardem) and Reverend Mother Mohiam (Charlotte Rampling), with each bringing their unique talents to the table.

Islamic ideas originally inspired this movie and novel. In the movie Dune, they mention Mahdi (Paul). His name is Mahdi in the Freeman language and they flee to the Fremen, who see in Paul the Lisan al-Gaib or “the Voice from the Outer World,” a prophet they call the Mahdi, whom they believe is “The One Who Will Lead Us to Paradise.”  

In Islam, Shi’a Muslims believe that the last Imam (prophet) will come and save us. This movie is based on that idea. Author Frank Herbert is said to have been heavily inspired by the Middle East, North Africa, and Islam.

This movie is worth watching, it’s simply the best movie I have watched.  It offers a thought-provoking and visually stunning adaptation of one of sci-fi’s most loved stories. 

With the breathtaking performances and production designs, makes an unforgettable experience that will leave audiences eagerly waiting for the next film.

Donate to The Skyline Post
$185
$5000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.