Graduating Early is “The Kickstart on Your Life”

Kyle Foster (‘22) and seniors in orchestra playing at their graduation.

Have you ever felt like four years of high school is too much? Found yourself in school not to learn but just going on the same old routine? Felt like the time you spend in school could be used on other priorities or interests? Graduating early is a great option to consider.

The process to graduate early takes time, focus, and understanding of the grading system and credits. Amani Dworkin (‘24) said ¨it takes a lot outside of school to get it all in check but the benefits of graduating early is the kickstart on your life.” You “get to accomplish and do more with your life.”  

What you need in order to succeed at graduating early is a plan. SLC Principal Terri Patterson recommends that “by at LEAST the end of sophomore year or in the first trimester of your junior year, you should already know and start planning.” 

Graduating early can be extremely challenging and overwhelming but being on trimesters makes it fortunately easier. ¨Generally speaking, most kids do four years but at Skyline since it’s trimesters,” says counselor Heath Schimmel, “you have a better time attempting to graduate a year early.”

If you feel like this is something you would want to pursue for your own personal growth and wellbeing, go for it. It’s all about your future and what you feel is necessary for your personal success. In my own experience, graduating early allows you to take the next step in your adult life and to mature and learn who you really want to be outside of high school.

The steps for graduating early start as soon as you make the decision.  In order to follow through, you have to know where you are academically: how many more credits and requirements you need to complete. For more information and to think through this decision, see your counselor.

$185
$5000

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.