Why Students Listen to Certain Music

Ann Arbor’s Wazoo Records. Credit: Robin Sickman-Garner.

Just walking into Skyline in the morning, you see peoples’ musical preferences reflected in band tees and headphones covering ears. They might love something because it makes them pumped up or calmed down; because the melodies make them dance or the lyrics make them cry.

“I’ll go through phases of different artists, but Adrianne Lenker is always in what I’m listening to,” says Sadie Barber (‘24) when asked what artist most influences her listening. “It’s sweet, folky music and I think that the lyricism is really interesting. They’re intentionally poetic, but not like…they’re trying too hard.”

What draws a lot of people into different artists and songs is the emotions the music can inspire. Whether they garner these feelings from the lyrics or from the melodies, music helps individuals learn and grow.

“Music makes me feel like myself. It’s what makes me, me,” says Lily Hescheles (‘24). “It’s the only way I can express myself. I think I just really connect to lyrics more than anything.” Her key adjectives when listening to music are “mellow [and] sad.” She is a “very big sad music listener.” 

One idea that stood out is the search for something original. Students seem to gravitate towards melodies and composition that make them feel something new or lyrics that let them experience a new understanding with their emotions.

“When I’m listening to something I’m listening for uniqueness,” says Salim Souguir (‘24). “What I’ve noticed is that the artists remembered from past musical eras are the ones that brought something different to music. Like the way Playboi Carti inspired a whole new genre of rap by mumbling and having funny sounding adlibs. When something is like nothing I’ve ever heard before, I’m drawn to it.”

Lily Hescheles (’24) browsing in local record store. Credit: Robin Sickman-Garner.

Not only does music help people understand themselves, but it also seems to help them understand others. For many, listening to music can be as self-care-oriented as listening to a self-help podcast.

“Music allows people to let their emotions out in a healthy way,” adds Brenden Kaiser (‘24). “If you’re frustrated about something, screaming along to a song or two in the car usually helps release those negative emotions.” 

For those who play in a band or participate in one of the school music programs, more specific aspects of the music, such as vocal technique and the way the instrumentation is layered, often intrigues them.

“I tend to pay more attention to vocals than anything,” explains choir student Annie Pasque (‘25). “Really strong and unique vocals are my favorite, especially when an artist is able to sing something really impressive.”

Although the Skyline student population is quite diverse in its musical tastes, many are seeking something rare.

“I think I look for people who are authentic,” says Sadie Barber (‘24). “Authenticity in their music, like they’re not trying to be anybody else and they’re doing stuff that’s true to them.”

$185
$5000

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.