Memorable Moments From the Seniors’ Skyline Experience

Skyline Orchestra poses for photo with their Spanish counterparts. Credit: Andrea Murray.

Four years ago, the class of ’24 set foot in Skyline’s halls for the first time, and soon, they’ll be walking out of them for the last. Over those four years, they’ve all had an unending wealth of extraordinary experiences throughout and away from Skyline’s premises, which have changed them from the middle schoolers that first came to Skyline into the adults which are now leaving.

Though Skyline’s chapter in the lives of the class of ’24 will soon be over, they will always have their memories of Skyline High School.

Kole Wukie (‘24) thinks back to his time in the math mentoring program. “I’ve always loved math, so I felt like it was a way for me to help people out,” he says. 

Evangeline Piper (‘24) has fond memories of contributing to the Skyline building: she painted one of the many murals which line the first floor’s walls. “I was super stoked when I got the opportunity to paint one in my Leadership and Social Justice class with [Ms.] Ploufe!” she says. “I painted the ‘we are powerful’ one, it’s in the basement and you’ll find my name on it if you check it out!”

Logan Tauber (‘24) talks about his strange encounters with Brawl Stars on the Skyline campus. “I don’t know what happened, but one year, nobody knows what supercell is, and the next year, ‘Clash of Clans! Brawl Stars! Clash Royal!’ Everywhere I go I see it,” he laughs. “It haunts me.”

Many of the seniors thought back on their time in Skyline’s many extracurriculars, Petra Bora (‘24) and Naya Loftus (‘24) among them.

“My favourite part of my experience [at Skyline] was getting to be on the PomPon team and in Skyline Blues,” says Bora. “Those two activities have given me so much confidence while also being super fun!”

Loftus thinks about the first play she performed at Skyline. “[It] was called Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind,” she says. “It was very fun and it was a really good theatre experience!”

Not all of the seniors’ stories took place on Skyline’s campus. Jessica Beaver (‘24), Ella Ricci (‘24), and Jed Gascho (‘24) remember their times at the various orchestra extracurriculars with fondness as well.

Beaver looks back on the 2023 orchestra trip to Spain. “Performing with the kids from that school in Valencia was probably one of my favourite moments ever,” she says. “It was pretty special to have such a strong connection with people that speak an entirely different language.”

“I definitely cried on the bus ride back from that concert,” Beaver adds with a laugh.

Gascho’s memories lie at the Interlochen Orchestra Camp. “I liked meeting people outside of a school context,” he says. “It was really fun to see everyone!”

Ricci had a more specific memory from Interlochen ─ she was one of the four people chosen from among Orchestra Council and the counsellors to be pied in the face. “As a form of camaraderie, everyone on the council board, myself included, offered ourselves to be pied,” she says. “It was a truly hilarious experience, and I distinctly remember the feeling of whipped cream getting into my eyes ─ slightly painful.”

Though this may be the end of their high school lives, the class of ’24 will always be welcome at Skyline. Go Eagles!

$185
$5000

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.