Lego Fortnite Surprised Me, in a Good Way

The game cover that shows when opening Lego Fortnite. Credit: R. Gattuso/Epic Games

Beautiful landscapes, open biomes, and creativity. The Lego game mode in “Fortnite” is worth playing for many reasons. Whether you want an action-packed, boss-fighting survival game with your friends, or a relaxed, solo-building game, “Lego Fortnite” has it all. 

Since 1932, Lego has collaborated with video games such as “Minecraft”, Sonic, “PAC-MAN,” and most recently, “Fortnite,” an online multiplayer shooter game with the goal of eliminating others and being the last person standing. There are custom maps/regions with their own rules (“game modes”) created by both the community and Epic Games. The “Lego Fortnite” game mode is created by the latter, making it very well done and professional. Unlike the normal battle royale mode, you want to survive and build in the wild.

You can download and join in the fun of “Lego Fortnite” for free. Anyone can bring their own creative style to the table. Players continue to find new and innovative ways to make new buildings, vehicles, and more, in lots of different environments, using singular walls, floors, etc., or use in-game digital instructions to build Lego sets. 

The two game modes in “Lego Fortnite” are survival and sandbox. I enjoy the sandbox mode where you can fly, build without needing to gather materials, and very easily regain health.

In the survival mode, you gather materials, talk to villagers, and explore the randomly generated map, with the goal of survival. Hunger, warmth, monsters/mobs such as wolves, spiders, skeletons, etc., all threaten your survival.

Maybe you enjoy a solitary, singleplayer gaming experience, or maybe you only enjoy collaborative, multiplayer experiences. In “Lego Fortnite,” you can have both. You can play with friends to explore, fight, or build, or you can enjoy the vast map by yourself. Personally, I like playing with friends and talking to them through the in-game voice chat. Working together with any amount of friends brings another level to this already great game. 

If you and a friend have different playstyles, “Lego Fortnite” has lots of ways to exercise the way you want to play. “Lego Fortnite” has components of survival, creativity, and surprisingly, this game also has action! You can eliminate players, monsters, and glorified bosses. Every player can enjoy the game differently, with no set goal. If you enjoy survival games like “Lego Worlds” or creative sandbox games like “Minecraft” you should definitely check out “Lego Fortnite.”

There is no official end in “Lego Fortnite.” It is a permanent game mode, according to the official “Fortnite” account on X/Twitter, meaning it will be around for years to come. Also, with no set goal, there is no pressure to do a set task. You can just mess around for hours at a time and never have to restart the world from the beginning, unless you want to. You can repeatedly add on to one world forever. 

“Lego Fortnite” is one of the most well-done, enjoyable games I have ever played. I had so much fun in survival game mode chatting and dancing with NPCs (non-playable characters) and exploring the open world. I also had a blast exploring, flying around, building, and fighting things with friends. In “Lego Fortnite,” your imagination is the limit.

$0
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.