The Controversy Around the New York Times Bestseller It Ends With Us

The copy of It Ends With Us from the SKyline Library. Credit: Lia Chung.

Colleen Hoover has become a nationwide best-selling author, rising to fame with her novel It Ends With Us (2016). This book follows the relationship of Lily Bloom and Ryle Kincaid, centering on issues of domestic and verbal abuse. Fans and critics can’t agree on whether this book is problematic for glorifying this type of narrative, or if it is effective in bringing awareness. 

Hoover is currently published by Atria Books, Grand Central Publishing, Montlake Romance, and HarperCollins Publishers. She has published 24 novels, and a movie adaptation of It Ends With Us is being released on February 9th, 2024. Hoover has worked as a social worker and became a counselor at WIC, supporting women, infants, and children with nutrition. She wrote her first book Slammed in 2012.

Her books are widely known because of their intimate and emotional scenes, with reviews on TikTok’s “Booktok” where readers discuss the abuse, trauma, and romanticization in It Ends With Us. Many readers comment on how the book made them cry, laugh, and feel like they understood Lily’s point of view. 

“It was the same theme over and over again: timid female characters and overbearing, abusive love interests,” said book influencer Whitney Atkinson in an interview with CNN. “I don’t think anyone’s arguing abusive or controlling behavior can’t be written about. It’s the way it’s written, as if it can be excused or is just part of a normal relationship.” Atkinson’s opinion is similar to most responses to this book: the book normalizes this type of behavior and can harm domestic abuse victims.

Hoover announced early in 2023 she was going to make a coloring book based on the novel It Ends With Us.  Fans were concerned it would be harmful to victims by being triggering and possibly profiting off of images of domestic abuse. Atria Books quickly decided to cancel the publication. 

“The coloring book was developed with Lily’s strength in mind, but I can absolutely see how this was tone-deaf,” Hoover said in a public apology. “I hear you guys, and I agree with you. No excuses. No finger-pointing. I have contacted the publisher to let them know I would prefer we don’t move forward with it. Thank you for the respectful discourse and accountability. Nothing but love.” 

Skyline Hoover fans seem to still support her but feel disappointed. “I think that glorifying the abuse inside the book and then profiting off it [coloring book] shows just how inconsiderate this was to take each of those experiences out of the book,” says Vedha Kakarla (‘26).

As a Hoover fan myself, I think if people still want to support her by reading her next book, they should, but Hoover should also be held accountable for her actions.  Readers should take time to process and call her out for any other missteps.

$0
$500

Your donation will support the student journalists of Skyline High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.