Skyline Post Senior Spotlight: My Skyline Experience

Dennis Serbin. Credit: Dennis Serbin

A note from The Post staff: at The Skyline Post, we invite every senior who has been on our staff to write a Senior Spotlight. A Senior Spotlight is a chance for them to address the community as they go forth into the world.

Skyline has given me an incredible high school experience that I don’t think I could’ve gotten anywhere else. From my humble freshman year beginnings to ending senior year, Skyline, and especially the teachers and administrators have been exceptionally helpful and supportive. 

I started freshman year as a shy kid who wasn’t a part of any clubs. I focused most of my energy on getting school work done. However, as I started growing accustomed to the atmosphere and accumulating friends, I discovered that there is a whole other side to the high school experience. Sophomore year, I joined Skyline’s robotics team by invitation from one of my friends. This branching out has led to me opening up and developing extremely important skills such as leadership, communication, and teamwork. 

Unfortunately, Covid-19 happened and forced everyone to retreat and quarantine. However, through the efforts of Skyline’s (and of course AAPS’) administration, we were able to make the most out of virtual learning and it taught me how to power through and stay motivated to achieve my goals.

As a result, my senior year has been a blast! Through the help of my counselor, I was able to dual enroll at the University of Michigan and take some more advanced math courses in which I was successful. Without the experiences I gained from Skyline, I wouldn’t have been able to do this. Our robotics season has also been the best yet, winning regionals, making it to finals at states, and qualifying for world championships!

All in all, I would just like to thank the Skyline team for making this experience possible. I would not be the person I am right now without the incredible people that make Skyline happen.